Pilot Awards for Cancer Research
Purpose: UPMC Hillman Cancer Center is accepting applications for pilot projects in basic, translational, clinical, or population science-based cancer research. Up to five projects will be awarded at $50,000 each (over one year), provided through Hillman NCI Cancer Center Support Grant (CCSG) Developmental Funds.
Eligibility and Program Requirements: Applicants must be UPMC Hillman Cancer Center faculty members with a rank of Assistant Professor or higher (*Research Assistant Professors are ineligible). Required progress reports will be requested at 6 months and 12 months. Any resulting publications must have a PMCID and the following attribution: "This project was supported in part by award NCI P30CA047904."
Submission: Applications must be submitted by email to Stacy Fitzsimmons at email@example.com no later than 5:00 pm on December 20, 2017.
Proposals cannot exceed two pages and must include the following:
- Brief background (preliminary data are not required, but up to two figures/tables may be included and do not count towards the page limit)
- Research strategy (approach and significance)
- Potential use of findings for a future grant application, including the type of grant and the anticipated application date
- References (do not count against the page limit)
- NIH biosketch of applicant, including all sources of external funding
- Budget and budget justification
Review: Proposals will be reviewed by members of the Hillman Research Executive Advisory Committee and additional reviewers with appropriate expertise (as needed) for:
- Impact of the proposed project in addressing a well-defined need
- Appropriateness and adequacy of the experimental approach and methodology proposed to carry out the research
- Appropriateness of the proposed budget and duration in relation to the proposed research
- Planned future use of the generated data (e.g., preliminary data for larger study, justification for large-scale implementation in clinic, proof-of-concept for potential commercialization, etc.)
Application Deadline: 5:00 pm on December 20, 2017
Project Start Date: February 1, 2018